Hi, welcome to Downton Abbey Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the Dent page.
Copyright issue threat Edit
Communicating a copyright protected work to the public by electronic means is an infringement of a copyright owner’s rights. Before you include any image in web pages you must have the permission of the rights-owner. Therefore please contact me immediately to arrange payment for the use of pictures. Joan Wakeham - GlosPics.com22.214.171.124 19:32, March 15, 2013 (UTC) my images are also syndicated through my agents Rex Features and Splash News. —This unsigned comment is by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 12:32, March 15, 2013. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- Without identifying specific content you believe is violating copyright, there is no way to act on your notice. Also, by notifying without a registered user account, there is no reliable way to communicate a response. You will need to specify content you believe is in violation AND provide a reliable method communication and contact (e-mail address, phone number, mailing address, etc.). Otherwise please contact Wikia about issues with this wiki's content. -- (talk · contr) 15 Mar 2013 1:11 PM Pacific
Your input is requested at the What is canon and good citations/references ForumEdit
Hello, there's an important discussion going on about the Canon Information page that we'd like to have your input on. It's important that as many people as possible take part since once these guidelines are approved they will affect everyone. Please take a look at the page and give your opinion here: What is canon and good citations/references Forum. Thanks, - bloob (talk) 14:09, June 8, 2013 (UTC)
Please give us some feedback about admin candidates Edit
Hello, a user has recently put themselves forward as a candidate for adminship. I'd appreciate your input and you can can find the discussion here: Forum:Adminship#Bluebellanon. We really need the feedback! -- (talk · contr) 27 Jul 2013 10:01 AM Pacific
Your attention is requested Edit
Rename of Miss Sybil BransonEdit
Hello! I've reverted your recent rename to the Miss Sybil Branson page to stay in line with our new policy: Downton Abbey Wiki:Naming articles. This is because we don't use nicknames to title articles, so we've just got "Miss" added to the beginning of the name to simply differentiate between her and her mother. Thanks for all your recent edits to the wiki, and let me know if there's anything I can help you with. blue (talk) 21:18, September 5, 2013 (UTC)
Okay then. I didn't realize nicknames weren't used to title articles, and I thought it was alright since the article Charlie Parks is also using a nickname. But that's fine, and you're welcome for the edits.WriteType (talk) 22:07, September 5, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh, good catch! I've changed over most of the article names to fit with the new policy, but I must have missed that one. I've changed it now. :) blue (talk) 22:41, September 5, 2013 (UTC)
Actually I was wondering, on the subject of Alfred Molesley, recalling that there was a debate over whether his first name is Alfred or Joseph (even on here when it kept getting changed), I've been trying to make the title either Mr. Molesley or just Molesley for now until the show actually confirms once and for all what is first name is, but haven't been successful. If that's not allowed, I understand and won't argue with it anymore. WriteType (talk) 23:05, September 5, 2013 (UTC)
- According to The World of Downton Abbey and The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era his first name is Alfred. In line with our recent policy: Downton Abbey Wiki:Canon information, the official books are canon information unless contradicted by a higher tier of canon. If he ever gets called a different first name in the show we can of course change it. I think it's listed in a note on his page the confusion over his name, so that should inform anyone who's interested/confused about what happened. blue (talk) 23:25, September 5, 2013 (UTC)
Hello! I've noticed that often when you're editing (assuming that User:188.8.131.52 is still you as you said to me before) you'll leave two spaces in-between sentences and I wondered if you could keep an eye on this and try to stop doing it. I know it's only a minor thing, but it means someone else has to later go and get rid of those extra spaces.
Also, just out of interest, why you don't you generally edit whilst logged in? It's much easier to keep track of your edits and for other people to talk to you about them if you edit whilst logged in. --Amateur Obsessive (talk) 14:06, September 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Hello Amateur Obsessive; to answer your question about two spaces, I'm an aspiring fiction writer of fiction and so I was taught to always double-space after sentences, in both school papers and my creative work. If you want me to stop that I will try. As to not logging in, sometimes I just don't; it used to be that I wouldn't log in unless I had to. But I can try to log in first.
- I used to be DowntonRules, but after I offered my "creative" viewpoint - meaning how I would continue Downton if I were writing it (I am also interested in pursuing screenwriting someday) on various blogs and sites - I was so offended by the remarks people made I cancelled that account, but decided to come back because, well, it was hard to stay away.
- But as I said, if you want me to edit while logged in I will try to do so from now on.WriteType (talk) 14:20, September 26, 2013 (UTC)
- I've taken a writing course myself as well as having been to uni and double spacing after full stops is something I've never heard of! I guess maybe it's an american thing? Anyway, thanks for your help, I know it must be hard to try and change your established way of editing. Sorry to hear about your previous experiences here, I hope you feel welcome here now. Amateur Obsessive (talk) 15:11, September 26, 2013 (UTC)
Hi regarding my previous communication regarding copyright infringement these are the images I feel have infringed our copyright:
We would appreciaten their immediate removal unless you can prove they are from a legitimate source and have been paid for.
Glospics184.108.40.206 23:10, October 20, 2013 (UTC)
I didn't realize that there was this problem with pictures and copyright. Certainly on other wikis I've contributed to with photos no one has ever complained before. If they need to be removed, go ahead and remove them. I understand.WriteType (talk) 23:17, October 20, 2013 (UTC)
- Hello Glospics, if you have any issues with this wikis content then please contact wikia staff. They'll be able to verify your claims and sort any issues out for you. You can contact them here: Special:Contact/content-issue. --Amateur Obsessive (talk) 23:47, October 20, 2013 (UTC)
- So what are you saying exactly? Am I to be charged as a criminal, banned from this wiki, because I did something wrong without honestly intending to? I never set out to break any rules. I am sorry for all this. I really am. Please believe me. I never realized when posting these photos that it was wrong.
Hello, I just wanted to leave you a little message saying not to worry about the recent copyright issues that Glospics has brought up. I've contacted wikia staff to ask their advice and I'll copy the replies I got for you here as I thought it might reassure you a bit if you're worrying.
The first reply I got was:
- Typically, the route for copyright holders to deal with potential infringements is to send a takedown notice to Wikia directly. Upon receipt, we take down the potentially infringing material and that is usually the end of the matter. That is how the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is set up.
- This person has sent us an email, but it did not include the required elements to be a valid DMCA takedown notice. They may do so in time, but they haven't at this point.
- I can't say for certain whether or not the use of the image constitutes a fair use, but you certainly seem to have a good argument that they may.
- I also can't say whether they are who they say they are.
- One of the required elements of the takedown notice is a sworn statement that they own the copyright, under penalty of perjury. They have not produced this item.
- While I can't provide legal advice, in this case I would allow the DMCA notice and takedown procedure to play out since they have already contacted us directly.
The second reply I got was:
- The mechanism for dealing with potential copyright infringements is to stick to the Notice and Takedown procedure of the DMCA.
- They haven't sent us anything further yet.
- Based on their behavior thus far, I think you would be well within your remit to ban them and restore any images they removed pending a valid DMCA notice. They are not that hard to send, and the fact that they haven't pursued that avenue further, while not conclusive, leads me to believe that they may not qualify for whatever reason.
- Just point them to us and let the process runs it's course.
So I really don't think you need to worry. We maybe could do to put a policy in place for the wiki regarding images but that is a separate issue for another time. Let me know if you need any help with anything regarding this and I'll see what I can do. --Amateur Obsessive (talk) 20:43, October 23, 2013 (UTC)
Thank you very much my friend. For a while there I certainly was very worried that I was in serious trouble. If I have done anything wrong (if in the end it turns out to be so) then I apologize. Just so you and the other staff members know, whenever I add information or pictures from online sources, I have tried to list the sources in a References section or in the comments at least once.
But again, thank you very much for your reassurace. You certainly did make me feel better. I am very grateful. WriteType (talk) 22:13, October 23, 2013 (UTC)
Than you for your ideas. Can you give me your facebook to talk mor about my fanfic?
I'd be glad to talk more about your ideas, however I would prefer not to post my facebook page on here for protection of my identity. If you know a way for me to send you a private message, let me know. Otherwise I'd prefer to just communicate through the wiki. I'm sorry if that is not what you wanted. To tell you the truth, you can credit me as anonymous (or by my user name) if you wish. Or we can discuss that some more as well.
WriteType (talk) 13:48, October 27, 2013 (UTC)
Where you think we can post our fanfic when it is finished?
Waiting for your reply.
I honestly don't know Sybil. As I said before, I'm not much of an expert on fanfiction. I suppose a blog could always be created, but I'm no expert on blogs either.
WriteType (talk) 13:49, November 4, 2013 (UTC)
I see. But what do you think about we create an alternate reality for Downton set in the Tudor dynasty with Matthew Crawley as "Matthew the seventh" and Mary Crawley as "Mary of York"?
And instead of Downton Abbey we could make a Downton Palace and Isobel could be renamed as "Lady Isobel Beaufort"
Waiting for your reply
The Tudor dynasty, now that would be interesting. There are certainly a number of historical events around which the stories could be referenced. Matthew, Robert, and others could be caught up in Henry VIII's wars with France and/or the war against Scotland which made Catherine of Aragon a hero with the people. Sybil of York could fall in love with Tom, an Irish leader of rebels in Britain, but tensions would rise between him and the rest of the family with the Reformation in England and the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
But then again, Henry wasn't the only Tudor monarch; there's also Elizabeth (could do the Spanish Armada and Shakespearean theatre) and the nine day queen, Lady Jane Grey, as well as Edward VI.
WriteType (talk) 00:45, November 24, 2013 (UTC)
When we can star writing our fanfic?
Hello Sybil. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the truth is I'm not sure how much time I can really invest in writing fanfiction. Among other things, I've got many other writing projects (my own fiction) to work on. And I think I mentioned on your user talk page I never really planned to pursue writing fanfiction. Really, if you want to start on your own, feel free to, and you're free to use any of the ideas I've given to you. I'm sorry if you feel I've let you down. That was never my intention. I'm certain you'll do a really good job. If you need someone to consult with regarding details and such, always feel free to ask. Again, I'm so sorry.
WriteType (talk) 21:05, November 24, 2013 (UTC)
Copyright infringement imagesEdit
Hello again! Wikia staff have just let me know that they did receive a valid takedown notice and a number of images (all but one being ones you uploaded) have been deleted by wikia staff. They asked me for us not to restore them or re-upload them unless we intend to fill a counter notice with wikia. Since I don't intend to do that, those images will have to stay off the wiki. I think we can find plenty of suitable images from screencaps and official promo pics so this isn't really a problem. Please let me know if you have any questions. --Amateur Obsessive (talk) 20:11, November 8, 2013 (UTC)
- Perfectly understandable about the pictures; I have nothing against them being removed and staying off. My only questions would be where not to get pictures and how to identify them as ones not allowed onto wikia. If there are methods, please let me know so I can avoid this situation again. Thank you. WriteType (talk) 21:05, November 8, 2013 (UTC)