Series 4 began filming eight episodes on February 28th, 2013. Series 4 will include a Christmas Special for 2013. The opening and closing episodes will again be feature length with series four continuing the story of the Crawley family and their servants in the early 1920s.
The Series will pick up six to eight months after the end of the Christmas Special, that is to say, sometime between March and May 1922.
Julian Fellowes wants to slow down the pace of the drama, make it more subtle, and concentrate more on character development.
Tom Branson has also been confirmed to be taking on a larger role within the family, and something exciting will happen for him in the middle of the series. Violet and Michael Gregson will be returning. Rose will have an increased role. Martha Levinson will appear in the Christmas special. Sarah O'Brien and Ethel Parks will not return.
Tom and Mary will spend more time together and grow considerably closer, but not be romantically interested in one another. There will be a nursery subplot involving a nanny and the children. Edith will get more feisty and glamorous, being as actress Laura Carmichael states, done with society's expectations, and it has been hinted her relationship with Gregson will flourish. Better days - plus a few ups and downs - are expected for John and Anna Bates. Mary shall have two new suitors: Lord Anthony Gillingham - who has known her since childhood - and Charles Blake. Lady Rosamund Painswick will return, and there will be a tango dance scene in which she will appear.
The show will feature its first black character: Jack Ross, a jazz musician and singer. Other new faces include party-loving drunkard Sir John Bullock, Violet's old "school friend" Lady Shackleton, the Duchess of Yeovil, visiting valet Green, and a singing houseguest.
Series Four will premiere in the UK in the autumn of 2013, then in the US on January 5, 2014.
Joanne Froggatt thinks a baby might possbily be on the way for Anna and John.
Jim Carter thinks for Carson it will be "a race between retirement and disillusion." The standards for household service are going to drop, so he feels Carson should retire before that comes to Downton.
- Episode 4.01
- Episode 4.02
- Episode 4.03
- Episode 4.04
- Episode 4.05
- Episode 4.06
- Episode 4.07
- Episode 4.08
- Christmas Special 2013
- ↑ This article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2286365/Downton-Abbey-season-kicks-cast-graveside-Matthew-Crawley.html, with pictures, mentions them filming on a "Thursday"; the article was published on March 1st, which was a Friday. Thus, filming began the previous day, as filming is stated to have "just begun".
- ↑ ITV Commissions a fourth series of Downton Abbey, itv,com, Friday, 23rd November 2012, 4:43PM.
- ↑ Hugh Bonneville: I hope Downton Abbey quits while it’s ahead, metro.co.uk, 22nd Jan 2013, 1:19 pm.
- ↑ Downton Abbey Christmas 2012, itv.com, Wednesday, 26th December 2012, 7:56PM.
- ↑ Shirley MacLaine to return to Downton Abbey in series four, Alice Vincent, Telegraph, 4th March 2013, 11:15AM GMT.
- ↑ Another Key ‘Downton Abbey’ Loss: Siobhan Finneran Leaving O’Brien Role, Nancy Tartaglione, 2nd March, 2013, 00:13 UK.
- ↑ To those of you who've asked, no I'm not in series 4 of Downton Abbey. Looking forward to watching it with the rest of you though!, Amy Nuttall, twitter.com/amynutts, 3rd March, 2013, 4:57 AM.
- ↑ Exhausting day in rehearsal for @PassionPlayLond followed by tango rehearsal for @DowntonAbbey, twitter.com/SamanthaBond, 3rd April 2013, 9:57 PM.
- ↑ ‘Downton Abbey’ Adds Gary Carr As Jazz Singer For Season 4, Nancy Tartaglione, Deadline, 1st May 2013, 10:51 UK.
- ↑ Shirley MacLaine Returning To ‘Downton Abbey’, 6 New Cast Members Join, The Deadline Team, Deadline, 2nd March, 2013, 7:45am PST.
- ↑ ITV commissions a fourth series of Downton Abbey, ITV Press Center, 12th December, 2012.