- Murray: "His mother is alive and he lives with her. His father, obviously, is not. He was a doctor."
- Robert: "I know. It does seem odd that my third cousin should be a doctor."
- Murray: "There are worse professions."
- — Murray and Robert discussing the new heir Matthew[src]
Dr Reginald Crawley (died between 1909 and 1912) was an upper middle class doctor in Manchester until his death. As he predeceased his cousins James and Patrick Crawley, his only child, Matthew Crawley, becomes heir to the Earldom of Grantham.
Reginald's great-grandfather was a younger son of the 3rd Earl of Grantham.
Isobel witnessed Reginald treating dropsy of the heart by draining the pericardialsac of the excess fluid and administering adrenalin before his death. She encourages and ultimately gets Dr Clarkson to use that same treatment for John Drake despite Violet's protests.
- ↑ Dr Clarkson states that treating dropsy of the heart by draining the pericardialsac of the excess fluid and administering adrenalin before his death is a new method, giving credence to the possiblity that Reginald died only a few years before 1912 given that Isobel watched her husband perform the method.