- Were you looking for information on the Downton Abbey program?
|Location||Downton, Yorkshire, England|
|Use|| Residential house|
Convalescent home during the Great War
|Owner||Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham (before 1912)|
|Inhabitants|| Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham
Robert Crawley's Father (? - before 1912)
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham (After January 1870 -)
Downton Abbey is an estate located in the outskirts of Downton in Yorkshire, England, and is the home of the aristocratic and wealthy Crawley family. The family currently consists of Robert Crawley, the Earl of Grantham and his wife Cora, the Countess of Grantham, and their three daughters, Lady Mary, Lady Edith and the late Lady Sybil. The house was also the home of the late Matthew Crawley and is currently also home to Tom Branson and to the grandchildren of the Earl and Countess, Sybbie Branson and George Crawley. The servants who work for the Crawley family also live at the estate.
In the 1920s, Robert Crawley lost most of the family wealth on a investment which sadly went wrong, meaning that he and his family could have had to leave Downton Abbey. However, Robert's heir and son-in-law Matthew Crawley received a large fortune, which he chose to invest in the estate, allowing the Crawley family to stay at Downton Abbey. When this happened, Robert and Matthew became joined co-owners and masters of the estate, but Matthew had concerns that the estate had been mismanaged for a while and was not making money. Matthew and Tom Branson, the new estate manager, both had ideas to revitalise the estate and were eventually backed by Robert.
Known rooms and locations Edit
Downton Abbey is a very large and grand house with numerous rooms. Some of those that have appeared on screen are as follows.
Main house Edit
- Hall - with grand staircase
- Dining room
- Drawing Room
- Family and guest bedrooms
- Servants quarters - sparsely furnished attic bedrooms with men's and women's bedrooms separate
- Servants' dinning hall
- Butler's pantry
- Housekeepers' sitting room
Outdoors and estate Edit
Behind the scenes Edit
- Highclere Castle in Hampshire is used for exterior shots of Downton Abbey as well as for some of the interior filming, with the servants' living areas constructed and filmed at Ealing Studios.
See also Edit
- ↑ Episode 3.04
- ↑ Cora married Robert in 1889, so she has lived there since then. ITV.com Downton Abbey Press Pack (PDF), Page 5
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-10-30/downton-abbey-michelle-dockery-on-lady-mary
- ↑ http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-10-29/downton-abbey-laura-carmichael-on-lady-edith
- ↑ Following Sybil's death in 3.05 Robert said that she was 24 years old. Episode 3.05 is set in AUTUMN 1920, and she was born around June, meaning she'd be 24
- ↑ In 2.07, set in early 1919, Mary says Sybil is 21, meaning she was born in 1898.
- ↑ Her pregnancy in December is recent, so she died around August/September