- Cora: "We were just saying how charming this room is now."
- Violet: "It always seemed rather dark when my mother-in-law lived here. But then she made everything rather dark."
- — Cora and Violet greeting Matthew[src]
Crawley House is a house in Downton, Yorkshire, in which Matthew Crawley and Isobel Grey went to live after the former's announcement as the heir to the Earl of Grantham's estate after the death of Patrick Crawley aboard the RMS Titanic. Crawley House had been uninhabited prior to their arrival, since the death of Violet's mother-in-law. Matthew moves out of Crawley House and goes to live permanently at Downton in Season Three, after marrying Mary. In the 2015 Christmas Special, Richard Grey moves into Crawley House with his fiancée Isobel, after leaving Cavenham Park to son Larry and his wife Amelia.
It is located by a public square, opposite the local church and graveyard.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The exterior of Crawley House is a house in Bampton, Oxfordshire and the interiors were shot in Hall Place in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire.
- ↑ In Episode 1.02, Violet claimed that her mother-in-law "made everything dark" when she lived in Crawley House.